Friday, August 1, 2014

Bottle gourd curry/Lauki sabji

Whats with bottle gourd and me?Am I flooding this space with recipes of bottle gourd actually no this is only my second one here and I've been seeing on tv lately how versatile this vegetable is and I am getting ideas which I will put into action soon I hope.

lauki/bottlegourd sabji 1


I've written more than enough about this humble vegetable in my other post here . Now let me get to this recipe and how I started making it is because mummy dear told me to try obviously.She's the one who keeps giving me such good ideas.I used to make them only with dal once upon a time and got bored of that.This is much easier and find tastier to go with rotis for dinner which is what I'm usually experimenting on daily.

lauki/bottlegourd sabji 2

lauki/bottlegourd sabji 3
 Preparation time : 30 minutes

You need

Bottle gourd/lauki/soraka/peerkanga 1 small or half of a large one
Onion 2 medium
Tomato 1 large
Green chilli 1 small
Ginger crushed 1 inch piece
Garlic 3 pods
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds/jeera 1 tsp
Cinamon stick 1 inch piece
Dhaniya/coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish


  • Chop the bottle gourd into dices and finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin and cinamon stick.Add giinger, garlic , onion, green chilli let this fry well until the onions are traslucent.
  • Then add the tomatoes and allow to mash well.
  • Add the diced bottle gourd and cover and cook well.
  • Add salt and add about quarter cup of water if needed.
  • Add garam masala powder, dhaniya powder and saute well.
  • Cover and cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat when the bottle gourd has cooked completely.
  • Sprinkle coriander leaves generously.

lauki/bottlegourd sabji 4

Serve this delicious curry hot with chapathis and raita.Enjoy your meal.

4 comments:

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis